June 15, 2004

Something familiar, something peculiar
Something for everybody: comedy tonight
Something that's gaudy, something that's bawdy
Something for everybawdy: comedy tonight

So, I decided that a good way to use my summer-free-time was to make a list of all the musiclas I had seen and write a sentence or two about them. Here's 10 out of the 32 I listed.......

1)42nd Street
I saw it at the Boulder Dinner Theater. It was pretty good. Although I do think it was too much dancing and singing and not near enough plot. Long chorus songs get boring for non-experts like myself. However, it had a good "never-give-up" message.
2)A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
My high school did this play last year as their musical. It was quite entertaining- "Something familiar, something peculiar, something for everyone: a comedy tonight!"
3)Annie
Annie is a classic, therefore a must-see. All little girls pretend they're Annie at one point. And "the sun'll come out, tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow- there'll be sun..." and "This floor better shine like the top of the Chrystler building"
4)Annie Get Your Gun
This was my first Broadway play- it was very good. From "Doin' What Comes Naturally" to "There's No Business like Show Business" (which is ALWAYS stuck in my head)
5)Cabaret
I guess this one doesn't really count, as I haven't seen it yet. But I am going to in the middle of July. I'll give you an update then.
6)Big River
This is the musical tale of the adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It's a lot like the book, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, and it has a few songs that are good. But actually, I can't remember any of them. So they weren't good enough to stick in my head, I guess.
7)Cats
So, this is kinda cheating too, as I haven't REALLY seen Cats, just parts of it while they were fundraising for PBS. But the parts I saw I liked. There was perhaps too much dancing about without much plot, but that's okay. The whole cat-theme was cool.
8)Chicago
I like both the movie and the play, although I think I had too high expectations for both of them, so they were both less-than-expected. But still good. I loved the character of Billy Flynn and his "Razzle Dazzle" song and "All I Care About". I also think Catherine Zeta-Jones was great in the movie.
9)Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
A would-be-childhood-favorite if it weren't for that darn children catcher. Man, he is scary. But the theme song and "Truly Scrumptious" are great. And Dick Van Dyke is in it.
10)Damn Yankees
"What Lola wants, Lola gets, and Lola wants you!" This is not your average love-story musical, although romance is thrown in there somewhere. I like the "selling your soul to the devil" twist, though. I haven't seen the film version of this, though.


** humming my own little tune at 3:51:00 PM

|

-+-+-+-
















Archives

Links
International Movie Database
Fairview High School
RADHOLE
Post Secret







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Kristen's Nifty Spiffy Blog
Daily Lyrics