August 26, 2004
Go on hitch a ride on the back
of a butterfly
There's no better way to fly
To get to me
I look around at what I got
And without you, it ain't a lot
But I got every, with you, everything
Freshman Orientation was today. I'm a LINK leader- so I got to go help out. We each (100 upper classmen) had a group of approx. 5 frosh. It was fun. In the beginning. We played games and had a ball. AND as a bonus, we got pizza for lunch. But AFTER they had gone through their schedule and met all their teacher- we had the worst afternoon ever. I mean, all these kids want to do is have fun- get acquainted with their new school- maybe make a good impression. But no, not a chance. We have to force them through HUGE lines (try 500 kids) to get their EARS checked- to get their vision checked, to get lockers (which they didn't get before because their middle school messed up), to get school pictures (which, more often than not, are the kid version of driver license pictures). This was TORTURE. And not only for the freshman (although it was probably worse for them than for us) but it was tough on us, too. Majorly. I lost half of my LINKS. What a bad was to start the year. I mean, it puts a bad impression on the LINK leaders, too, who are supposed to be the person who grounds the freshman into FHS. But with this horrible routine- the freshman HATE us, because they have to (and understandably) place the blame on SOMEONE. It was disaterous.

HOWEVER, my day was completely turned around after watching the gold medal game of women's soccer. It was truly amazing. I was crying at the end- probably more than Mia Hamm was. Do you think those Hamm brothers in gymnastics realize their name-similarity to Mia Hamm is probably the coolest thing about them? I doubt it......


This was fabulous. I mean, as I said before, these girls are my heroes. They are the poster-board kids for women's soccer. And I was one of those kids who carried their soccer bag around middle school. The highlight of my shopping trips were the visits to the soccer-store- I lived off halftime orange smiles. It was the life. And only watching this Olympics did I feel any regret for stopping. Look at that. The unity, the smiles, the laughs- you don't really get that deep in swimming. Sure FHS team is fantastic- and Meadows is even better, everyone is so supportive and everything. But it's not the same as actually PLAYING with them, learning what their weaknesses are and such. Man. That was great. ,

Remember this? 1999 world cup. Suzanne said that Brandi whipped off her shirt as an advertisement for Nike, which at the time completely destroyed my faith in humans- but I got over it. That was a fantastic game. I remember it so clearly- that picture posted all over the newspapers and magazines. And now it's over. As I said- there were many "snail trails" down my face. But at least they went out with a BANG. Picaboo Street, my other Olympic hero, went out with a fizzle in the 2002 winter olympics. And Margo didn't seem to think it mattered- but I was very upset. I don't think most kids my age CARE about what happens to those people who idolized when you were 10 or 11. I certainly do. It's probably another one of those can't get over growing-up things. *sigh*

** humming my own little tune at 5:36:00 PM

|

-+-+-+-
















Archives

Links
International Movie Database
Fairview High School
RADHOLE
Post Secret







This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Kristen's Nifty Spiffy Blog
Daily Lyrics